Parton is a request stop.
The village of Parton lies 2 km /1.25 miles north of Whitehaven and has a population of just over 900. People have lived here since at least Roman times when the sheltered bay was used by boats serving the Roman fort (GABROSENTUM) on the high ground to the north of the present village. Today, Moresby Hall, a manor house and hotel, stands near to the site of the fort. It is a grade 1 listed building.
Neighbouring St. Bridgets church church grew up inside the old fort and was replaced in about AD 1150 and rebuilt again in 1822.
Like other West Cumbrian settlemments, Parton grew during the industrial revolution and in the 18th Century was home to coal mining, brewing and glass making industries. However, after a devastating storm in 1795, the harbour and industry declined and exports went down the coast to Whitehaven. Parton became a small fishing port and today many people travel into Whitehaven for work. People come to Parton, with its railway station close to the coast, for leisure. There are coastal walks and the beach is a mixture of sand, pebbles and rock. There can be spectacular sun sets across the waters of the Irish Sea.
A large mural welcoming visitors to parton is easily seen from the station and it is only a short walk to the unusual war memorial in The Square.