Harrington

Harrington is a request stop.

Harrington's only remaining station.

St. Mary's church,  Harrington. Picture from David Trochas.


View Larger Map

This place has been described at a "Lost Town" , due to its decline from a busy industrial centre to a quiet coastal retreat lying between the larger settlements of Workington, to the north, and Whitehaven, to the south. However, today the population is approx. 5,000, many of whom work in the nearby larger towns.

The name, Harrington, dates back to the Saxons who settled this part of the coast but the population grew from the 18th Century and the exploitations of the area's natural resources .Harrington 's harbour dates back to 1760 when the first quay was built to export coal and limestone. The town once had iron working, coal mining, steel making and ship building as its industries. At its height, the town had 5 railway stations, one of which is still in use. The West Cumbria Cycle Network now follows the course of the former "Cleator & Workington Junction Railway" which served the industries of High Harrington. There is a car park at the station.

The latest industry to come to West Cumbria is wind farming and the turbines can be see at a number of locations along the coast.

Harrington has also led the way in disabled access to trains. The town gave its name to the "Harrington Hump" in 2008. and these DDA compliant ramps are now being introduced  at a number of stations across the country where platforms are too low to allow easy access to the trains.

The church of St. Mary is built on foundations dating back to AD 1177 and is worth a visit. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Harrington in the 21st century, much quieter than in the 19th Century. Below is the harbour, now used for leisure rather than industry. Pictures from Alastair Duncan/Visit Cumbria.

 
A2A Affordable Web Design - SMS Marketing - Affordable SEO & English Lakes
Designed By A2A Internet